Our homes are more than just four walls and a roof. They are our sanctuaries, a place to recover after a stressful day, a place to be ourselves. Our homes, when they’re healthy, will literally nurture our bodies, minds, and spirits, and bring peace, and joy.
Our home’s overall health is often overlooked, even though it has a profound impact on the way we live and interact with the world around us. I’ve spent nearly 20 years pioneering healthy home living, basically, re-balancing household ecosystems to keep them pest-free, mess-free, and poison-free. Over the years, I witnessed how caring for our home using an earthkind approach can bring about unexpected physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits as well.
Here are 7 ways I find that our home spaces shape the way we live and interact with the world, ultimately impacting our health and happiness. And I’ve left a special gift at the end, from my heart to yours.
- When our homes are clean and organized, we are more likely to prioritize healthy habits, such as exercising regularly, eating nutritious foods, and getting enough rest. It’s amazing to me how much more energy I have after I’ve just finished cleaning. Ironically, my eating is healthier too, as I discovered when I reviewed my habits with a tracking app.
- A healthy home promotes good air quality, reducing the risk of respiratory problems and allergies. According to the CDC, indoor air is more toxic than outdoor air, and 90% of us spend more time indoors than outside. Having the right plants in your home can make a noticeable difference in air quality. Here are a few of my favorites!
- A well-maintained home can prevent accidents and injuries, ensuring that we stay safe and healthy. The leading cause of death in children is cancer, and it’s mostly attributed to hazardous chemicals in the home like pesticides, and cleaners. I’m very proud of the fact that my company, EarthKind, was the first to gain a federal EPA registration for a botanical rodent repellent that balanced safety with effectiveness for harmony between human and environmental health.
- A clean, tidy, and comfortable living space has a positive impact on our mental health. A cluttered and disorganized home can lead to stress, anxiety, and even depression. On the other hand, a serene, peaceful home can be a refuge from the outside world, helping us to feel calm, centered, and balanced. – and we could all use a little more of that in our lives!
- Our home environment is a reflection of our inner state, and the act of creating a beautiful, harmonious space can be therapeutic and healing. I’ve tried the principles of Feng shui and love its therapeutic impact on our home, and workspace as well. It basically forces me to place only those things that bring health & harmony to each of the spaces I maintain, such as choosing beeswax over petroleum candles, and featuring a curio made from recycled wood from our 100-year-old family barn.
- Our homes nourish our spiritual well-being too. Whether it is through a dedicated meditation space, a nature-inspired décor, or simply surrounding ourselves with the people and objects we love, our homes can be a source of inspiration, comfort, and connection.
- Lastly, a healthy home helps facilitate our spiritual practices, enabling us to cultivate a deeper sense of purpose & meaning in our lives that continuously delivers joy. I place a cross in every room of my home, as a reminder of my faith, and since I believe that my body is a home for my soul, I’m empowered to keep healthy home rituals.
There you have it. My healthy home top 7 list. I love you, fellow human beings. Now for that special gift: please follow @EarthKind.Living on TikTok and Instagram for inspiring & insightful daily posts that expand on each of these. I’m so proud of the work our social media team does bringing EarthKind Living tips into every home with a pleasant reminder! #LoveLife #LiveKind